ALC60 and PSA12

General Discussion on Laser and related Topics.

Moderator: wler

Gesperrt
magnus pihl
ALC60 and PSA12

Beitrag von magnus pihl » Do 24 Okt, 2002 9:30 am

I have a problem with my ALC60 system. When I turn up the "power", the beam intensity is not stable. It oscillates. Up to 10A is it no problem, but 10-12A it is oscillating VERY much.

I put my oscilloscope probe on the current measurement connectors (red and black 4mm connectors) on the ALC 60. At full power I got following readings:

2VDC with 0.8VAC peak-to-peak (+/- 0.4V) @100Hz.

This makes a max current of 12A and a min current of 8A during the oscillations. The 100Hz is of course the 4-diode bridge rectification. So the large capacitors can´t seem to stabilize to a good DC voltage.

Is it the tube or the PSA-12?

Best regards,
Magnus Pihl

holger (alc60x)

Re: ALC60 and PSA12

Beitrag von holger (alc60x) » Do 24 Okt, 2002 2:09 pm

dear magnus

its an old and public problem in your
power supply unit -psu
the capacitors ? hope its right , are old
and they can´t "smooth" the rest of waves
from the ac current if the dc current
bigger than 8 to 10 amps.
to remedy the oscilations, you must buy
new capacitors for your psu.

attention , the oscilation are not very good
for the lasertube .

hope you understand my letter,

greetings holger

<small>[ 24. Oktober 2002, 14:11: Beitrag editiert von: Holger (alc60x) ]</small>

gunnar
Re: ALC60 and PSA12

Beitrag von gunnar » Fr 25 Okt, 2002 3:13 am

I don't think that you can blame the PSU. The PSA12 is a newer model and i think that the capacitors are in pristine condition.

I think that the problem is the lasertube itself. Older tubes simply like to resonate :-)
Maybe the tube is not warmed up sufficiently, you can't start the tube and raise the current, that's the death of every tube. Try starting the laser, wait for 2-3 minutes and then slowly increase the current to the max in small increments so that you are on max in about 5 minutes.
If your tube doesn't like that too, lower the current to the last stable setting.
And always keep in mind that the absolute max for a ALC60 is 10A. Everything higher kills the tube really fast.
(Ok that doesn't bother me, i was running my ALC60 up to 14A, but i had to pay the price, gross underpressure, but who cares on a tube like that... :-)

regards,

gunnaR

Gesperrt

Zurück zu „Laserboard [en]“