heathcliff & LC 2

General Discussion on Laser and related Topics.

Moderator: wler

Gesperrt
furious fotons

heathcliff & LC 2

Beitrag von furious fotons » Di 11 Dez, 2001 1:58 pm

Hello evereyone,<p>I´m planning to hook up a LC2unit onto heathcliff.<p>Does anyone know:<p>What driver delays should be set to ?<p>How exactly do I make a PCI 128 Sound blaster DC proof.<p>The software appears to have blanking support, how does this work ?<p>thank you all...<p>[ 11 December 2001: Message edited by: furious fotons ]</p>

stop
Re: heathcliff & LC 2

Beitrag von stop » Di 11 Dez, 2001 2:06 pm

Hi,
sorry to disappoint you, but heathcliff does not support blanking, nor are you able to specify scanner-speed. It will work greatly without any modifications, but all scanned images will center slightly... maybe somebody can help you with this (I never fixed this problem)

furious fotons

Beitrag von furious fotons » Di 11 Dez, 2001 3:08 pm

I don´t care that much for blanking,I was just curious. <p>Heathcliff DOES have driver delay settings, under settings, but it has no dimension like us or ms.
And I dont want to destroy anything by setting these values to high or to low.

pepimk

Beitrag von pepimk » Di 11 Dez, 2001 5:50 pm

hi,<p>about driver delays:
driver delays are given in samples; here's how i calculated them for the lc1.
44100 Samples = 1 s
44 Samples = 1 ms
1 Sample = 22,67 µs
66 Samples = 1,52 ms
(specs: for 40° not less than 1ms)
55 Samples = 1,26 ms
(double the value for 5°)
30 Samples = 0,69 ms
(specs: for 5° not less than 0.5ms)
those two limits (40°=max and 5°) came from the lc1 specs. you can calculate the delays for the lc2 the same way. if you're still not sure, mail me the specs of the lc2, and i'll do it.<p>you can change the max edges value to your likes; you can't damage the unit with it. it's just a delay for sharpened edges, 0 means no additional sharpening.<p>about dc proof:
i don't know how to make it dc proof, but the one time we were using a soundcard, we first drew each frame on the screen, then adjusted them on a canvas using the live preview mode.
in theory: you need to locate the capacitors near the lineout (and remove them).<p>about blanking:
you need a wave player that controls the blanking and/or color switching unit. 8 bit of the 16 bit wavefile contain the actual scanning data, the least significant two bits contain blanking/color info.
(sorry, i don't have such a player as it depends on your blanking unit)<p>if you've got any more questions, write the author of the program (me ;-)).<p>patrick

stop

Beitrag von stop » Mi 12 Dez, 2001 6:34 pm

Hi Patrick!<p>Thanks for your answer. I used heatcliff quite a lot and my congratulations to your soft- it's very nice to work with! I also have some questins concerning blanking: do you think it's possible to write a small plug-in to have blanking-signals on LPT-port? In that case, everybody could just weld a small Interface for LPT and connect it to the blanking(TTL) input... It would enhance your Soft very much.
Personally, I burned all shows made with heathcliff as wave-files on CD-Rom and play them via an old CD-Rom Player. It works okay, but I did not suceed in welding out the capacitors- it did not work in that case. There is another problem: If I burn shows as wave-files and play them via CD-Rom, all morphing- effects will be destroyed. Let's say, there is a line going from one side to the other, and the morphing time is very high, i.e. 10.000, it will appear in the finished show to be only one line in the middle... no morphing at all. Do you you what the problem could be?
Thanks,
Steffen<p>P.S.: Du sprichst doch nicht etwa deutsch, oder? :-)

pepimk

Beitrag von pepimk » Do 13 Dez, 2001 12:02 am

to stop:<p>about the centering. i thought a while about it. are you using a soundcard for output?
the filters of normal soundcards will do that, if i remember my tests with soundcards right. thats why ff wants to make his card dc proof.
bad thing about it is that you'll need to use a soldering iron on your soundcard :-(<p>patrick

furious fotons

Beitrag von furious fotons » Do 13 Dez, 2001 11:20 am

Stop, you confuse me a little, if you burn your shows to cd, what help would a plugin for hc be. Maybe someone could write a wav-player that sends the color and blanking bits to a serial port, DTR & RTS for example, I think hc is pretty good as it is already, not only because its free, it works the way you think it should.
About dc, I don´t have any hard feelings about rebuilding my SB 128, so I´m planning so mail creative. But I got the feeling that they won´t quit understand me. I think dc is removed anyway if you write to cd, think of the countless input, output stages, dsp´s etc in the soundpath that could remove dc.

alwin

Beitrag von alwin » Do 13 Dez, 2001 11:54 am

hi,
1st: Outputting the blankening signal to the LPT port is very difficult because it has to be in sync with the audio-output. Your soundcard has some hardware-buffers to maintain a realtime performance. (44.1kHz) It uses DMA, so the CPU cannot send data to the LPT-port at the exact moment because the audio data isn't transfered from Memory to Soundcard by the CPU.(if you understand..) Thus: I Think its pretty impossible to have the blankening signal in sync with the x,y information. (in my point of view)
Solutions:
-Build a dual 8-bit DAC for the LPTport and use an other pin for blankening. (not buffered)
-Build a ISA card with a uP and a buffer.
-I was thinking about a Soundcard wich has a SP/dif output and using additional hardware to convert the digital (2x16 bit) SP/dif signal into 2*analog (8bit x,y) and 2*digital (8bit blank and color). I dont know if this will work (yet)!!!!!<p>2.About the morphing line:
The low frequency components of the morphing effect are filtered out by the output coupling capacitors of your cd player. Result: a static line and no morphing. You have to bypass the output capacitors.<p>greetz
Alwin Argon [img]images/icons/tongue.gif"%20border="0[/img]

muppet

Beitrag von muppet » Do 21 Feb, 2002 1:31 am

It is NEVER posible to sync the out of the blankening signal to the LPT port...
Only writing to a soundblaster directly
(without buffer etc) works fine, but only posible under DOS :-(

>Solutions:
>Build a dual 8-bit DAC for the LPTport and use an other pin for blankening. (not buffered)
>Build a ISA card with a uP and a buffer.
Visit http://www.rpklaser.de/Antares.html

Always bypass the output capacitors, on cards with ESS chips this is almost imposible.
Soundblaster 16VE etc (old ones) are
better to modify!!!

Greetings,

Alfons
Please visit : www.tmlaser.com

furious fotons

Beitrag von furious fotons » Do 21 Feb, 2002 8:44 am

maybe another possibilty:
My computer has AC'97 onboard, so it has 4 audio channels! maybe it is possible to make wav files and include blanking and colour in the 2 extra channels. This should be perfectly synced.

Gesperrt

Zurück zu „Laserboard [en]“